We absolutely LOVE rice pudding. It was my pudding every Tuesday and Thursday with my school dinners…. until they changed it to semolina… YEUCK. When they changed it no one ate it so it wasn’t too long until they brought it back. YAAAS.
My nan loved the stuff but she used full fat cream and butter in hers so it wasn’t a very healthy version haha. However I do use whole milk and a knob of butter in our recipe to keep it as close to my nan’s recipe as possible because no traditional rice pudding is the same without it.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- We have this cute little nutmeg grater, it stores our fresh nutmeg inside so they are together. Love it.
- Love these little dishes, they are a great size for so many recipes.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 40g pudding rice
- 200ml whole milk
- 2 teaspoons sweetener
- Seeds from a small vanilla pod or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon low fat butter (Optional)
- Fresh nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven 180°C fan.
- In an ovenproof dish add all your ingredients apart from the nutmeg.
- Give a little stir to make sure the rice isn’t sticking to each other.
- Grate over the nutmeg, or sprinkle if using ground.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until rice is cooked.
- Once cooked leave it to rest a few minutes as it will be piping hot.
- You can either enjoy this hot or allow to go cool and place in the fridge and eat cold.
- If time isn’t on your side you can simply add all the ingredients to a pan on simmer on the hob stirring occasionally until thick and creamy.
Adding fillings is optional, and other flavours . Here is a selection of other flavours and fillings we have used for inspiration.
For the following adaptations don’t add the nutmeg on top:
For the Blueberry Cheesecake add 9g Whittards Blueberry Cheesecake hot chocolate powder in step 2 and leave out the vanilla.
For the chocolate Bounty replace the vanilla with coconut flavouring and add 2 teaspoons cocoa powder in step 2, once cooked stir in 4g desicatted coconut.
Cherry bakewell swap the vanilla for almond extract and serve with cherries.
Passionfruit swap the sweetener and flavouring and use half a tablespoon of TRKG passionfruit syrup. (See below about these syrups).
Red velvet do the same as the passionfruit one above. (See below about these syrups).
**NOTE: We use syrups from http://www.trkg.co.uk they are calorie free, sugar free, diabetic friendly, gluten free, vegan friendly and come in a wide range of flavours. We also have a code to share: Hickmans15 for you to get 15% off your order, this code also works alongside the buy 4 get the 5th bottle free, simply add your bottles to your basket, enter the code at the checkout and the code will be applied.