Lemon meringue pie is one of those desserts that I just will not share. I love the curd to be nice and tart and then the meringue nice and sweet. Yum.
Now I have tried many Slimming World recipes for meringue which uses way too much sweetener and to be quite frank I find it hideous. It is so much nicer to spend a couple of syns to use proper sugar. It’s fluffier and tastes much better, not to mention it cooks better too. We have syns to spend, so spend them on something worth spending.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Silicone whisks in varying sizes, much prefer silicone to metal as it rusts.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Mixing bowls are always wanted in this household and these stackable ones save so much space in our cupboards.
- Zester, does exactly what it says it does. Always handy to have one in the drawers.
- Juicer/squeezer for citrus fruits, catches pips and easier to use than squeezing by hand.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Serves 2 generous portions – 4 syns each
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
- 2 tablespoons sweetener (add more if you don’t like it very tart) – 1 syn
- 2 teaspoons Clover light butter – 2 syns
- 25g golden caster sugar – 5 syns
- 2 egg whites (the whites you separated from the yolks in the curd)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan.
- Whisk the butter, eggs and yolks together in a heat resistant bowl, gradually whisk in the sweetener, zest and juice of the lemons and mix well.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmer water and keep whisking until it starts to thicken. Do not stop whisking or you will end up with a scrambled mess.
- Set to one side.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until starting to form soft peaks, gradually whisk in the sugar until stiff glossy peaks start to form.
- Divide the curd into 2 dishes and spoon or pipe the meringue on top.
- Place in the oven for 10- 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.