Paella is one of our all time favourite rice dishes to make. Now normally you would find seafood in most paella recipes but neither of us are seafood fans, and some seafood I am allergic to so we havn’t included any in this recipe but you can add what you like to your own if you wish.
You can also make this vegetarian by replacing the chicken with quorn fillets, and replacing the chorizo with Linda McCartney’s chorizo sausages if you wish, just adjust the syn values to what you use in replace of the ingredients we have listed.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for making this dish…
- Family size multi function cooker , this is used in several of our recipes, more details in the blurb above.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Chicken & Chorizo Paella
Serves 6 – 2.5 syns per portion
- 400g paella or risotto rice
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 100g chorizo, diced – 14 syns
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ bag frozen mixed vegetables (you can use fresh if you wish but cooking time will take a little longer)
- Handful of frozen peas
- 900ml hot chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons paella seasoning (we use the one in Tesco)
- Fry the chicken and chorizo until cooked (we don’t use any oil or frylight here as oils release from the chorizo while cooking but if you don’t have a non stick pan then you may want to use a little to prevent sticking).
- Remove the chicken and chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside for now.
- Add the onion, pepper, peas and mixed vegetables and fry until softened.
- Add in the rice and fry for 1 minute to soak up any moisture in the pan and the flavour from the oils left from the chorizo.
- Add the chicken and chorizo back in the pan along with the seasoning and stock and simmer on a medium heat covered with a lid for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little extra water if the rice isn’t quite cooked and if its dried out.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon or lime if you prefer and some vegetables or even a salad.