A mildly spiced rice dish perfect for a stand alone meal or served as a side dish.
This dish is made in one large pan to save on the washing up making this a regular recipe in our house as I am all for the one pan recipes.
We use smoked bacon in this recipe which can sometimes make this dish a little salty, my advice if using smoked bacon is to not add any extra salt to this dish until the very end of cooking and add a little if you feel it is needed. You can also use unsmoked bacon but personally smoked bacon gives this a better flavour but its always down to personal preference.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for making this dish…
- Family size multi function cooker , this is used in several of our recipes, more details in the blurb above.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 20% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN at the checkout.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Louisiana Red Rice
Serves 4 – 8
- 350g basmati rice, rinsed under cold water
- 8 rashers smoked bacon, fat removed, chopped
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds, crushed (you can find these in most wholefood shops and sometimes supermarkets)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons SpiceNTice Has el Hanout rub – 1 syn (**See note above about this rub)
- Pinch of saffron
- 3 bay leaves
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 600ml chicken stock
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- In your pan cook the bacon over a medium heat until starting to crisp, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan saute the onion, celery and peppers until softened.
- Add the spices and fry for a few minutes to infuse the pan.
- Add the bacon back in along with the rest of the ingredients, leaving the spring onions for now, give a good mix and cover and simmer on a low heat stirring occasionally until all liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir through the spring onions and serve straight away alongside a salad for a main meal or as a side dish to something else.