Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Silicone whisks in varying sizes, much prefer silicone to metal as it rusts.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Non-stick milk pan as I love having the lip to make it easier to pour without spillage.
- Rolling pin, we use a stainless steel one as I make a lot of pastry and it can be put in the fridge to prevent pasty from getting so warm from warm hands and being handled so much. Best purchase I ever made for pastry.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 100ml skimmed milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon no added sugar jam
- Preheat oven 170°C fan.
- Roll the slices of bread nice and flat with a rolling pin.
- Warm the jam slightly so it is runny and spread over the slices of bread and roll each slice up nice and tight.
- Slice the bread in slices and set aside.
- Add the milk to a milk pan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Lightly whisk the egg, sweetener and vanilla in a dish and pour the hot milk in, whisking as you pour.
- Lay the jam swirled bread in the milk and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until set.
- Either enjoy hot from the oven or allow to cool and refrigerate and enjoy chilled from the fridge.