Chinese is probably one of our favourite take away’s. And guess what? You can still enjoy a Chinese whilst slimming and without feeling guilty.
Whats even more great is you can also cook these dishes yourself at home.
Now black bean sauce is one of my favourites to have at the Chinese. I have followed a few recipes and changed them around to make them healthier, I do still tweak this recipe from time to time depending on my mood and ingredients available to me.
You can change the beef to any meat you wish like chicken or pork but in this recipe I will be using beef.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Mixing bowls are always wanted in this household and these stackable ones save so much space in our cupboards.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 600g beef fillet, fat removed, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 200ml beef stock
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ginger puree
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 white onions, cut into chunks
- 2 green bell peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- Half a brocolli, cut into small florets (Optional)
- 1 tin water chestnuts (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 50g black bean sauce
- In a bowl mix the cornflour, both soy sauces, rice wine, black pepper and the beef making sure all the beef is well coated in the marinade.
- Spray a pan with low calorie spray and fry the beef for about 2 minutes, keep stirring.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, peppers, water chestnuts and broccoli (if using) and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the beef is cooked, the vegetables are starting to soften and the sauce is nice and thick.
- Best served with egg fried rice or a vegetable chow mein, or how about a mixture of dishes to make the ultimate Chinese feast.