I love making my own filo pastry however it is so easy to just buy it from supermarkets these days and it saves so much time.
You need to work quickly with this pastry as it dries so quickly, my top tip would be to take out the sheets you need and put the rest back well covered straight away. It can also tear very easily so you need to handle it with care.
There are endless possibilities on what you can stuff you chicken with so feel free to experiment.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 3 sheets Theos filo pastry
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 slices smoked bacon, fat removed
- Handful of baby spinach
- 70g reduced fat mozzarella (make sure its the squidgy one in a ball)
- A little milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Wilt the spinach in a pan with a splash of water and also set aside.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and flatten to around 2 cm thick, add the wilted spinach and 35g of cheese per breast and roll up tight, wrap the bacon around each breast and set aside for now.
- Lay one sheet of pastry on a chopping board and brush all over a little of the milk, lay another sheet of pastry on top and repeat, do this with all 3 sheets of pastry, slice the pastry down the middle.
- Place the stuffed chicken in the top centre of each sliced pastry stack roughly 2 inches away from the top edge, fold this edge over the chicken, fold the sides of the pastry over and roll the parcel up.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray with the seam of the pastry on the bottom, season the top with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes turning half way. Different size chicken breasts may take longer or less cooking time so please adjust this accordingly, the juices should run clear when cooked.