We love Chinese food that is a fact, we would have Chinese takeaway at least once sometimes twice a week and would completely pig out. But now we can still do this but being healthier by cooking our own.
Now you can easily go and buy a jar of sauce however I have always enjoyed making my own from scratch, I know what has gone in it and there are less additives and bad stuff going in our bodies.
You can change the chicken to pork, fish or quorn products to suit your own tastes and dietary needs or just add extra vegetables if you wish.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- I love gadgets but you can often find some that don’t work, however this pineapple corer is ace, simple to use too.
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- A good sized wok.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 4 large chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 bell peppers of varying colours, de-seeded and diced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tin of bamboo shoots
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g passata
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sweetener
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 250ml sugar free orangeade or lilt (in our opinion lilt is better but personal preference)
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons pineapple jam
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon cornflour mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a wok fry the onion, garlic, carrots and chicken until the onion and carrots have started to soften and the chicken has browned.
- Add the peppers and bamboo shoots and stir fry for a few minutes, add a little water if the vegetables are starting to burn.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to another pan and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and give a good stir to mix everything together and simmer for 5 minutes, you may not want all the sauce, simply add as much as you want and store the rest in a sterile jar.
- Before serving stir in the pineapple and spring onions.
- Serve along side boiled rice or a vegetable chow mein and any other little sides you wish.