One of Shanes favourite meals so this is on the menu at least twice a month if not more, we try and vary our meals so not to get bored but you can’t beat some classic meals.
This is a popular pub grub meal and probably one of the go to options I will take when we dine out, just because its super tasty and its a really easy dish to recreate at home.
Now you can use a jar of BBQ sauce or Crucials BBQ sauce if you prefer but I always have a batch of BBQ sauce made up and in the fridge as its one of my go to dips when having chips.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for making this dish…
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Love these little dishes, they are a great size for baked oats and can be used for so much more too. They are well used in this house.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 slices bacon, fat removed
- 80g light mature cheddar
- 500g passata
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon SpiceNTice barbeque rub
- 2 – 3 tablespoons sweetener
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- Pre-heat the oven 200°C
- Wrap the bacon around the chicken breasts and place in an oven proof dish, bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the BBQ sauce.
- Sweat the onion in a saucepan with a little water until translucent, add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil, let simmer while the chicken continues to cook.
- Take the chicken out the oven and drain any liquid and check the juices from the chicken are running clear.
- You can either blitz your sauce at this point or leave it chunky, either way add some of the sauce over the chicken and add 40g of the cheese over each piece of chicken.
- Put back in the oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted and golden on top.
- The remaining BBQ sauce can be stored in a kilner jar in the fridge for up to a week, we have had it longer than that but we would advise you check before eating.