When I worked full time I found slow cooker meals a life saver, turned it on in the morning and when I got in from work my meal was ready to plate up. This helped when I became a first time mum with our first daughter, I was always exhausted so knowing what meals were easy to chuck together I carried on with my slow cooker meals.
These slow cooker potatoes were a regular meal for me for a few days and the different combination of things you can add are endless. Feel free to swap the cheese we use to your favourites, I like to add different cheeses for full flavour but using just one type works just as well. There is also no need to have to cook the bacon in this either as it cooks with everything else and the moisture from the bacon helps everything else cook. Also no liquid is needed either so don’t be concerned that you are not adding any, you don’t need it.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Cheese grater with varying grater sizes.
- Slow cooker, we have a Crock Pot as you can set a timer on it which is handy if you are planning on being out the house for a long time.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 800g small new potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- Small bunch spring onions, diced
- 100g smoked bacon, fat removed and diced
- 80g light mature cheddar cheese
- 60g red Leicester cheese
- SpiceNTice chips and wedges kit (** See note above about this kit)
- Line your slow cooker with tin foil, you want enough so you can wrap everything inside so tear off a large sheet you can always trim it down.
- Add everything into the slow cooker layering it all up so you have layers of potatoes seasoned with the chip spice, cheese, onion, bacon, potato, cheese, bacon etc.
- Wrap the foil over the potatoes and place on the lid. Cook on high for around 5 hours.