We love chilli con carne, its always been a firm favourite comfort meal for us, its really easy to make and so much flavour packed into this dish. We always serve our chilli con carne with rice and any left overs go on jacket potatoes for lunches the next day but sometimes we turn it into a rice bake instead. Serve with a side salad and some garlic bread using your B choice and you got a really yummy meal which feels naughty when it’s not AND you get lots of leftovers for lunch still. Win win!
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Cheese grater with varying grater sizes.
- A lot of our dishes are pyrex, great for cooking. Perfect for roasters too and easy to clean.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 20% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN at the checkout.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Cheesy Chilli Rice Bake
Serves 4 – ½ HexA per portion
- 300g easy quick cook rice (brown or white), rinsed under cold water to release the starch
- 250g 5% pork mince
- 250g 5% beef mince
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 500g carton passata
- 1 small tin sweetcorn, drained (or a good handful of frozen sweetcorn)
- 1 beef oxo cube
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 SpiceNTice chilli con carne kit (**See note above about this kit)
- 80g lighter cheddar – 2 x HexA
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan.
- Fry the onion with the contents of sachet 1 of the spice kit in a deep frying pan.
- Remove the cassia bark and add the mince and fry until brown, keep stirring and break the mince up as you go.
- In an oven proof dish add the rice, chopped tomatoes, passata, sachet 2 of the spice kit, sweetcorn, oxo cube, kidney beans and the cooked mince plus 300ml water and stir to mix everything together.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes. Give it a quick stir halfway through.
- The rice should be cooked and the sauce absorbed. Pop it back in the oven if it needs longer, add extra water if needed.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and pop under the grill until melted and golden.
- Serve with a side salad.
ADDITIONAL NOTE:- If using the SpiceNTice kit feel free to add the chocolate sachet in step 4 but syn it accordingly. It does honestly add an amazing flavour if you use it.