- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 egg
- 25ml whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 teaspoon sweetener
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
For the apple filling:
- 1 eating apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- In a bowl whisk the egg, milk, sweetener, spices and almond extract until well mixed.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture and fry each side just to seal the egg in. Pop in the toaster to finish off (Make sure you keep an eye it don’t burn, adjust your toasters heat setting if needed) You can just fry it both sides if you wish, but I find toasting it puffs it up and prevents the middle being soggy still.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan add the apple, spices and sugar with the water and simmer on a low heat until the sauce starts to caramel and the apple is starting to soften and is cooked to your preference, I personally keep mine with a little crunch.
- Sandwich the apple and caramel into the french toast and enjoy.