Who loves KFC? *raises our hands* The KFC rice box is one of the most popular choices to have if you want a healthier option and it is so easy to recreate at home.
So inspired by our favourite meal we have our own version. We use bacon frazzles as our coating in this recipe, however we have also just used breadcrumbs but we find using the frazzles give an edge to the chicken. We also love using Doritos if we want a spicy kick. Simply use what you prefer.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for making this dish…
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- We use a NUTRiBULLET to blend and mix a lot of our recipes, its easy to clean and store and affordable. Also great if you are into health and fitness and have lots of shakes and smoothies. Also great for making iced tea/coffee so is widely used and not just a kitchen ornament like a lot of appliances.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 2 chicken breasts, fat removed
- 1 bag bacon frazzles or Doritos
- Wholemeal bread/or roll
- SpiceNTice Southern Style Chicken kit (**See note above about this kit)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 packet Aldi golden vegetable savoury rice (careful of other brands as some have syns)
- 1 tin spicy taco beans
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Preheat oven 200°C fan.
- Place the frazzles/Doritos, bread/roll and half the sachet of southern style chicken spice into a blender and blitz to fine breadcrumbs.
- Dip the chicken into the beaten egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture and evenly coat, place on an oven tray.
- Roast in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until cooked and the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile cook the savoury rice according to the packets instructions, in the last 5 minutes of cooking time add the beans, tomato puree and season to taste.
- Serve alongside a nice big salad and a dollop of fresh salsa.