Banana bread is a popular and easy bake to make. It’s one of the first things we learnt to bake in school and has always been a staple in our lives whilst growing up and it’s something we have baked quite a lot while being on Slimming World.
This recipe is more a cake than a bread and is super moist and fluffy, and it also includes chocolate, mmmmm.
One tip I will advise is to make sure your banana is as black as you can get, not mouldy, just black. Its sweeter and more ideal for baking with than an under ripe banana which will have no flavour once cooked.
As always we always include a syn value for cooked fruit as per the Slimming World guidelines and its up to the individual to syn it, some people do and some people don’t but we will always recommend people to do as the plan suggests to protect your weight loss.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Silicone whisks in varying sizes, much prefer silicone to metal as it rusts or an electric whisk to save on arm ache.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Mixing bowls are always wanted in this household and these stackable ones save so much space in our cupboards.
- 7″ loose bottom spring form cake tin.
- Cake cooling racks, so handy to have.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Chocolate Banana Cake
Serves 12 – 5 syns per slice
- 1 very ripe banana, peeled and weight being 100g – 4 syns
- 25ml whole milk – 1 syn
- 50g butter, softened – 19 syns (check own brands as syns vary)
- 75g plain flour – 13.5 syns (check own brands as syns vary)
- 75g caster sugar – 15 syns
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and ½ teaspoon baking powder – 0.5 syn
- 1 medium egg
- 25g cocoa powder – 4 syns (check own brands as syns vary)
- Preheat oven 140°C fan.
- Grease and line a 7″ loose bottom cake tin with non stick baking paper.
- In a bowl mash the banana with a fork, add all the remaining ingredients and beat with an electric whisk, or by hand if you wish until all the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and even the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until well risen, shrinking away from the sides and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into 12 slices and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days or individually wrap each piece and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before consuming.