Rock cakes, or rock buns as some people may call them have been a traditional British treat for many years, the name comes from the rock like appearance once cooked.
These little delights are an easy bake for anyone who loves to cook and also an easy recipe to follow with kids.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Mixing bowls are always wanted in this household and these stackable ones save so much space in our cupboards.
- Baking trays, we have separate ones for cake items and others for things like veg and meat etc so we have more than one set floating around in our house.
- Cake cooling racks, so handy to have.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 200g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g raisins
- 2 eggs
- 25ml whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice (Optional)
- Preheat oven 190°C fan.
- In a large bowl rub together the flour, salt and butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and raisins and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla and milk until mixed.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour the egg mixture in.
- Combine thoroughly to get a firm mixture.
- Line 2 baking trays with non stick baking paper and dollop equal spoonful’s onto the sheets until you have 14 cakes. Leaving plenty of space between them for them to grow when baking.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.