Jazz up your salads with fruit. You will be surprised how refreshing it is to add a little fruit to a salad. Pears, apples and grapes are usually a go to fruit you would normally find in a salad but you can literally use most fruits.
Strawberries are amazing with a little balsamic vinegar, grapefruit gives a lovely little acidic bite, mango if you get them ripe enough give a lovely exotic twist, figs are amazing in a winter salad especially if you like feta cheese it pairs really well.
Never be afraid to experiment with adding fruit to a salad or any dish for that matter. You will be pleasantly surprised how nice it makes a boring simple salad just by adding in a different flavour of sweetness.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Juicer/squeezer for citrus fruits, catches pips and easier to use than squeezing by hand.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 2 chicken breasts, fat removed
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 ripe mango, chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Iceburg lettuce, washed and shredded
- Cucumber, chopped
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- Cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons SpiceNTice chimichurri rub (**See note above about this rub)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven 180°C fan.
- Season the chicken with the chimichurri rub and 1 teaspoon of the lime juice and marinate for a good 2 – 3 hours.
- Place the chicken with the marinade in an ovenproof dish and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Prepare the salad by tossing all the remaining ingredients together and divide between 2 bowls or plates.
- Slice the chicken and place on top of the salad (either enjoy the chicken hot or cold) grab a fork and dig right in.