Sometimes something quick and simple is what we need for a lunch or even an easy dinner. That’s where pasta dishes come in handy, simply chuck what ever veggies you have in with some pasta and a tin of tomatoes and you got yourself an easy and tasty meal.
You can add any vegetables to this dish, you can even add in some meat too or even serve it alongside a piece of steak or chicken if you want some meat on your plate and less carbs. This dish serves 2 people but if you add meat it will stretch a little further making this ideal for an extra portion for a work lunch or a meal for the freezer for another day.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Non stick saucepans.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 140g penne pasta
- 1 courgette, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 teaspoons SpiceNTice Chimichurri rub (** see note above about this spice)
- Balsamic vinegar
- 16 olives in brine, drained (Optional)
- Cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water as per your packets instructions, reducing the cooking time by a few minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking in a pan saute the onion, courgette, carrots, celery and pepper until starting to soften.
- Add the tin tomatoes, tomato puree, a splash of balsamic vinegar and the chimichurri spice and give a good mix.
- When the pasta is almost cooked, drain it from the pan and add the pasta to the vegetables and simmer until the pasta finishes cooking and the veg is cooked to your liking.
- Before serving stir through 8 olives per person.
- Serve alongside a salad or some roasted veggies for a quick and easy meal.