I do love it when an experiment goes to plan. Now a small confession from myself as I feel I am not alone here, but before eating cleaner/healthier I used to hate, and I mean hate anything with a creamy sauce, this included things like lasagne, mac n cheese, carbonara etc. It’s only been recently that I am slowly starting to love it and add various creamy meals into my diet and I am absolutely loving it.
This is where this little dish became a success. Please note you can use any cream cheese you prefer, however I used the chive one in this dish as it added that little extra flavour. You can use quark if you wish and you can use any grated cheese on the top, I have included the cheeses we used in the recipe so adapt them to your own tastes.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Cheese grater with varying grater sizes.
- Pasta spoon, I can’t live without this spoon, makes life so much easier dishing up spaghetti.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 140g dried spaghetti
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, shredded
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 chicken oxo cube
- 55g Primula chives
- 15g red leicester cheese
- 20g light mature cheddar
- Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook for half the time it says on the packets instructions
- Meanwhile in a pan fry the chicken with the oxo cube until browned and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan on a medium heat cook the onion, garlic, carrot, courgette, celery and pepper until softened.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and the tomato puree and bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken back into the pan along with the part cooked spaghetti and simmer until the spaghetti is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened and been absorbed by the pasta.
- Stir in the basil and take off the heat.
- Just before serving stir in the primula and add the grated cheese over the top.
- Place under the grill and melt until nice and golden.
- Serve with some vegetables, garlic bread or just a simple salad.