This is one of Shanes favourites. Its a really quick recipe with a proper cheese sauce. Its an easy dish to make and can be enjoyed as either a main meal or even as a side dish for an American themed buffet.
Feel free to use your favourite cheese in this dish however we choose to include a mix of cheeses for maximum flavour.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Cheese grater with varying grater sizes.
- A lot of our dishes are pyrex, great for cooking. Perfect for roasters too and easy to clean.
- Non-stick milk pan as I love having the lip to make it easier to pour without spillage.
- Silicone whisks in varying sizes, much prefer silicone to metal as it rusts.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 300g macaroni pasta
- 25g Clover light spread
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 200ml whole milk
- 100ml water
- 80g light mature cheddar
- 30g red Leicester cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the packets instructions.
- Meanwhile make your cheese sauce by melting the butter in a milkpan on a low heat.
- Add a drop of milk into the cornflour to make a paste, then stir in the rest of the milk.
- Whisk the milk and water into the melted butter and simmer until the sauce thickens, make sure you are continuously whisking.
- Whisk in the cheeses until all the cheese is melted.
- Drain the pasta and tip into the sauce and stir everything to combine.
- Cook some bacon (fat removed) under the grill and pulse in a blender to become bacon crumbs. In step 5 leave some of the cheese behind. Place the mac and cheese in an oven proof dish, add the left aside cheese and bacon crumbs and pop under a hot grill until melted and golden.
- Blitz some wholemeal bread. In step 5 save some of the cheese behind. Place the mac and cheese in an oven proof dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and left aside cheese and grill until golden and melted.
- In step 6 stir through some chilli con carne for a chilli mac and cheese.