The one thing I love about the colder weather is enjoying a lovely warming bowl of soup and I love making my own. Don’t get me wrong we still have tins in the cupboard for convenience but nothing beats making your own. You can then alter the taste to your own preferences plus make plenty for meals during the week plus the freezer.
As always add any veg you prefer, add meat if you wish too and adjust the spices to your own tastes as we all have different taste buds so what I might like may be different to yourselves.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- We have 2 of these amazing Crock Pots, they get used every week for batch cooking things from soups, chilli’s, casseroles and more. Our most used appliances.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 x 400g tins mixed taco beans
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons SpiceNTice Harissa rub (**See note above about this rub)
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- Place all ingredients apart from the beans into a slow cooker, season well with salt and pepper.
- Place slow cooker on low for 5 – 6 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours, add the beans for the last 30 minutes of cooking to heat through.
- This stores in the fridge for up to a week and makes roughly 4 to 6 portions depending how big or small your appetite is.
- Also freezable for up to 3 months, defrost fully before reheating.