I love roasting vegetables, its usually the only way I cook them these days as the oven is almost always on doing our main meal so may aswell just chuck the veg in while the rest of the dinner is cooking.
Roasting vegetables I find gives them a sweetness to them plus we all prefer our vegetables with a little crunch still, give me soggy veg and its pushed to the side and not eaten, I can’t stand mushy vegetables.
You can add any veg you like into this, use up any bits and bobs in the bottom of the veg drawer and anything looking a little past their best.
These roasted vegetables also make a great base for a vegetable soup so if you don’t want them as part of a meal you can always add some vegetable stock and then blitz to make a tasty veg soup. Delicious.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Large roasting tin.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 6 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 3 bell peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 large red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large courgettes, thick sliced
- Punnet of baby plum or cherry tomatoes
- 1 packet of baby corn
- Head of 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon of each (thyme, oregano, basil, parsley & fennel seeds)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix the herbs together in a little dish.
- Put the carrots, garlic and onion in a roasting tin along with a little of the herb mix and spray with a little oil or low calorie cooking spray and roast for 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers, courgette and baby corn along with some more of the herbs and roast for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the last of the herbs and roast for a further 5 – 10 minutes or until everything is cooked to your requirements. Adjust the cooking times according to how much you prefer your vegetables cooked.