It’s no surprise that we love pasta, it makes great dinners and leftovers for lunches too which is ideal for Shane to take to work especially in the winter when he needs a hot lunch to warm himself up.
Now fajitas usually consist of cheese, salsa, sour cream, peppers, onions and meat flavoured in a lovely spice and you serve it in warm tortillas. Mmmm. However we have turned this much loved dish into a pasta bake which is perfect to serve alongside a fresh salad, you can even include the salsa and sour cream if you wish on the side. Delish.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Cheese grater with varying grater sizes.
- A lot of our dishes are pyrex, great for cooking. Perfect for roasters too and easy to clean.
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
For the pasta:
- 300g penne pasta
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced in strips
- 3 bell peppers (red, green and yellow), deseeded and sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 SpiceNTice fajita kit (** See note above about this kit)
- 110g Primula with chives or 110g Seriously Strong lighter spreadable cheese (see pic below)
For the topping:
- 80g light mature cheddar, grated
- 60g red leicester, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan.
- In a large saucepan boil your pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile in a frying pan fry the chicken until starting to go golden, add the onion and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta leaving a little of the water in the pan, add the pasta back into the pan along with all the other pasta ingredients and mix everything together.
- Pour the pasta into an ovenproof dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until the pasta is fully cooked, sauce absorbed and cheese is nice and golden and melted.
- Serve alongside a simple salad and a dollop of reduced fat sour cream and chive dip and a little salsa if you wish.
- Feel free to use any cheese you prefer, we use a combination of cheeses for extra flavour but always use the cheese you prefer.
- This is also a great batch cook meal, simply cook as above and allow to cool, portion up and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze. Defrost fully if freezing.