We really don’t have enough fish in our diets, its so good for you but we have been trying to do at least 2 days a week meat free and making some swaps to more veggies and fish.
I have used both frozen and fresh fish with this dish before so feel free to use which ever you prefer. Buying it frozen can often be cheaper but the fillets can also be full of extra water so may need to drain excess water when cooking.
I have served this with gigantes plaki, a Greek dish known in English as giant baked beans. Some may have seen us use this dish in other recipes as its such a tasty and filling dish to pair with fish.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Skillet pans, not only are they great for frying but they can also go in the oven.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
For the cod:-
- 2 large or 4 small cod fillets
- 2 teaspoons SpiceNTice herby fish rub (** See note above about this rub)
- 30g wholemeal bread, blitzed to breadcrumbs
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 30g parmesan, finely grated
For the gigantes plaki:-
- 400g tin butter beans
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 large carrots, roughly diced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and roughly diced
- 1 stick celery, roughly diced
- 3 teaspoons SpiceNTice chimichuri rub (** See note above about this rub)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- Preheat oven 180°C fan.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, half the parmesan and the chimichuri herbs together.
- Place the cod fillets on a baking tray and evenly coat the fillets with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a skillet pan fry the onion, carrot and celery on a low heat until translucent, add a tiny bit of water if they start to colour and burn.
- Add the spices and pepper and fry for a further 1 minute.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, beans and puree and stir to combine all the flavours.
- Place the cod fillets in the skillet pan, top with the remaining parmesan and place the skillet pan in the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Check the fish is cooked by gently pulling the fish away with a fork, if it flakes easily then its cooked, place back in the oven for another 5 minutes if its not quite ready.