This Japanese inspired dish is probably one of the most popular dishes people go for in Wagamama’s and rightly so, it is a delicious tasting curry and makes a great mid week meal.
Served alongside some delicious vegetables and sticky jasmine rice this makes a great dish you will enjoy time and time again..
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Silicone whisks in varying sizes, much prefer silicone to metal as it rusts.
- Hand blender.
- Small food processor ideal for blitzing small amounts of food.
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
For the chicken:-
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 30g wholemeal bread, blitzed into breadcrumbs
- 1 small egg, beaten
For the sauce:-
- 2 white onions, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 600ml hot chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- SpiceNTice Katsu curry kit (**See note above about this meal kit)
- 3 tablespoons cornflour mixed with small amount of cold water to make a paste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a piece of kitchen towel, dip in the beaten egg then into the breadcrumbs until they are both evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the juices run clear and the breadcrumbs crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile make your sauce.
- In a large saucepan saute the onion and garlic until starting to soften, add the carrot and saute for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients (apart from the cornflour) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a hand blender and blitz the sauce until smooth, put back on a medium heat and grab a whisk, whisk in the cornflour and whisk until the sauce is thickened to your liking.
- Serve the sauce alongside some sticky jasmine rice and vegetables and slice the chicken and serve on top of the sauce. Squeeze a slice of lime or lemon over the top and sprinkle over a few nigella seeds, delicious.
- Any leftover sauce can be frozen for another day, simply defrost and reheat.