Winter months calls for comfort food, and you can’t get any more comforting than a hotpot. You can add any vegetables you like into this dish and feel free to swap the sausages for your favourites.
We brown our sausages in a pan first to give them a bit of colour but feel free to just chuck everything into the dish and cook all together. It may not look like there is a lot of liquid before you put it in the oven, don’t be tempted to add any more, when it cooks it will generate its own juices and will leave you with a nice gravy once cooked.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
- Non stick saucepans.
- Casserole dishes.
- A mandolin slicer, used on the thickest setting.
- Cheese grater with varying grater sizes.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 8 x Aldi skinny pork sausages
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stick celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- Handful french green beans, top, tailed and chopped
- 1 400g tin baked beans
- 1 400g tin Tesco taco beans
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 red wine stock pot, dissolved in 50ml boiling water.
- 1 x SpiceNTice sausage and bean kit (**See note above about this kit)
- 3 or 4 potatoes
- 80g light mature cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 180°C fan.
- In a frying pan fry the sausages for a couple of minutes just to give them a little colour.
- Add the sausages and all the other ingredients (apart from the potato and cheese) to a casserole dish and give a good stir.
- Cut the potatoes into even slices (we use this mandolin to get even slices), lay over the top and cover with tin foil (shiny side down).
- Cook in the oven for 2½ – 3 hours or until a knife easily goes through the thickest part of the potato slices. Put back in the oven for a little longer if the potatoes are still hard. **Please note different potatoes and thicknesses of potato will vary in cooking time so please use your own judgement on cooking times.
- If a knife goes in easily then sprinkle over the cheese and put under the grill to melt and go golden.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.