I think our followers are aware by now how much I love baking. It’s something I have always done since a child with my grandparents. We will always find a way to enjoy the things we love and that includes cakes and treats.
Healthy eating doesn’t mean we have to miss out either. This recipe allows us to enjoy a nice big slice with a fresh pot of tea. Delicious.
We highly recommend using fresh cherries when they are in season for this cake, however when not in season we defrost some frozen cherries instead.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- An electric whisk to get the batter nice and thick and fluffy.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Mixing bowls are always wanted in this household and these stackable ones save so much space in our cupboards.
- Cake cooling racks, so handy to have.
- A 7″ loose bottomed cake tin
**NOTE: We use syrups from http://www.trkg.co.uk they are calorie free, sugar free, diabetic friendly, gluten free, vegan friendly and come in a wide range of flavours. Now just a quick note, although these are calorie free Slimming World advise to syn these syrups the same as sweetener at 0.5 per tablespoon if you are going to be using a lot of sweetener in a day. This is down to each individual if you wish to do this but as we are sharing our recipes we will always include the syn values as per the guidelines. We also have a code to share: Hickmans15 for you to get 15% off your order, this code also works alongside the buy 4 get the 5th bottle free, simply add your bottles to your basket, enter the code at the checkout and the code will be applied.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Black Forest Sponge Cake
Serves 8 – 4 syns per slice
- 3 eggs
- 50g caster sugar – 10 syns
- 100g self raising flour – 16 syns
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons TRKG cherry skinny shot syrup (**see note above about this syrup)
- 2 tablespoons Morrison’s cocoa powder – 3 syns
You will also need for the filling:
- Frozen cherries, defrosted or use fresh when in season
- Fat free quark
- 2 tablespoons TRKG cherry skinny shot syrup (**see note above about this syrup)
- 250g fat free quark
- 1 tablespoon Morrison’s cocoa powder – 1.5 syns
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan and line your cake tin with grease proof paper.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs, syrup and sugar until pale and fluffy and almost 3 times in volume (takes anywhere from 5 – 10 minutes so we advise using an electric whisk) .
- Carefully fold in the flour, cocoa and baking powder a little at a time with a metal spoon, keep doing this in little bits to prevent lumps and knocking out too much air.
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.
- While the cake is cooling make the filling by whisking the syrup, cocoa and quark together and store in the fridge until the cake is cold.
- Spread the quark evenly over one slice of the cooled cake reserving a little for blobbing on the top and evenly dot the cherries about the cake.
- Place the other slice of the cake on top, evenly blob the remaining quark on the top, add a cherry on each blob and refrigerate for 10 minutes before slicing into 8.
This cake will store in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.