We love cooked plums, especially when they are in season and super sweet and juicy. Usually I would make plum jam, poach them in brandy or make a crumble however this time made a sponge pudding. Delicious.
You can also find a mixed fruit with a vanilla sponge version here > Mixed Fruit Sponge Pudding <
Or a cherry and chocolate black forest one here > Black Forest Sponge Pudding <
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Mixing bowls are always wanted in this household and these stackable ones save so much space in our cupboards.
- An electric whisk.
- All our dishes are Pyrex, great for most meals. Perfect for roasters too and easy to clean.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 400g plums, halved and stoned
- 3 large eggs
- 75g self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Morrison’s cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven 160°C fan.
- Place the plums in an oven proof dish cut side down.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs and the caster sugar (leave a little sugar aside to sprinkle over the top once baked) until pale and fluffy and almost 3 times in volume (takes anywhere from 5 – 10 minutes so we advise using an electric whisk), when you remove the whisk it should leave a visible trail on the surface.
- Carefully sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder a little at a time into the beaten egg mixture and fold in carefully with a metal spoon, keep doing this in little bits to prevent lumps and knocking out too much air.
- Spoon the mix over the plums and bake in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes until cooked and a skewer comes out clean.
- Sprinkle over the set aside sugar and serve with homemade chocolate custard for a yummy indulgent treat.