This dish is great for using up various veggies, you can literally chuck anything in. We have kept this meat free, however adding in meat would also work, chicken or even mince would work wonderfully in this.
Some recommended items from our kitchen to make this dish…
- A big time saver for chopping veg with a veg chopper, from onions to carrots this is a god send to chop quickly.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- A lot of our dishes are pyrex, great for cooking. Perfect for roasters too and easy to clean.
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 20% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN at the checkout.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Moroccan Vegetable Bake
- 75g dried red lentils, rinsed under cold water
- 1 tin green lentils, drained
- 1 small butter nut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 stick celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 100g french green beans, top, tailed and diced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons SpiceNTice ras el hanout rub (**See note above about this rub) – 1 syn
- 1 knorr paprika and sundried tomato stock pot
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 100g frozen peas
- 50g frozen soya/edamame beans
- 1 large sweet potato, 4 large white potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped (you may have to use your own judgement on these as sizing varys so much you want enough mash to cover the top of your pie)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan.
- In a large pan saute the onion, garlic, celery and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Make your stock using the stock pot with 400ml boiling water.
- Add the red lentils, bell pepper, french green beans, butternut squash, ras el hanout seasoning, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and the stock, pop on a lid and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, giving a stir every so often.
- Leave to cool slightly, this will allow the lentils to soak some of the stock up and prevent the mash from sinking when you put it on the top when it goes in the oven. The red lentils will still be a little hard at this point, this is fine as they will continue to cook in the oven.
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water.
- Place the vegetable mixture in an oven proof dish (if its dry add a little extra water, not too much though, just enough to allow the lentils to finish cooking).
- Stir in the peas, soya/edamame beans, green lentils and sweetcorn and season to taste.
- Mash the potatoes and roughly spoon on top of the vegetables.
- You can add your healthy extra of cheese on top if you wish.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 – 25 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
- Serve with a side of steamed vegetables.