Paella is one of our all time favourite rice dishes to make. Now normally you would find seafood in most paella recipes but neither of us are seafood fans, and some seafood I am allergic to so we havn’t included any in this recipe but you can add what you like to your own if you wish.
You can also make this vegetarian by replacing the chicken with quorn fillets, and replacing the chorizo with Linda McCartney’s chorizo sausages if you wish, just adjust the cooking time to what you use in replace of the ingredients we have listed.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for making this dish…
- Family size multi function cooker , this is used in several of our recipes, more details in the blurb above.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 400g paella rice
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 100g Tesco finest reduced fat chorizo, diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 1 stick of celery, diced small
- Handful french green beans, top, tailed and chopped
- 75g frozen peas
- 75g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 litre hot chicken stock
- SpiceNTice Paella fiesta kit
- Fry the chicken and chorizo until cooked (we don’t use any oil or cooking spray here as oils release from the chorizo while cooking but if you don’t have a non stick pan then you may want to use a little to prevent sticking).
- Remove the chicken and chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside for now.
- Add the onion, carrots, pepper, celery, and green beans and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice and fry for 1 minute to soak up any moisture in the pan and the flavour from the oils left from the chorizo.
- Add the chicken and chorizo back in the pan along with the paella kit and stock and simmer on a medium heat covered with a lid for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas and sweetcorn and heat through, add a little extra water if the rice isn’t quite cooked and if its dried out.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon or lime if you prefer and some vegetables or even a salad.