This recipe was a happy accident. Often we will just spend time in the kitchen and experiment throwing this and that into a pan and hoping for the best, after all that is how a lot of recipes are born.
Pasta is always a hit in our family but it can often get boring sticking to the usual tomato based sauces so this lemon version makes a refreshing change.
As always adjust herbs and spices to suit your own taste buds, you may want less or more so taste as you cook, we usually add extra to what I write in this recipe to suit our tastes but adjust to your own preferences.
Also adding the spiralised courgette adds extra veggies that you can hide from the kids if you have fussy eaters. Spiralisers are relatively cheap and are a great kitchen utensil to have but if you don’t have one you can find already spiralised veg in most supermarkets in the pre packed veg section.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- Pasta spoon, I can’t live without this spoon, makes life so much easier dishing up spaghetti.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- A spiraliser
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
**NOTE: just a quick note about the seasoning we use in this dish, we have used a spice kit available from SpiceNTice which have all the spices you need all included in one kit so we don’t need to rummage through the spice cupboard for lots of different ones. Their spice kits and rubs are all Slimming Club friendly (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Calorie counting etc). For 10% off your order you can use our code HICKMAN10 at the checkout.
Don’t forget to take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram or Facebook @hickmans_slim_kitchen we love to see the recreations.
Also please make sure you credit us when sharing our recipes on social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
- 150g dried spaghetti
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large courgette, spiralised
- 100g french green beans, trimmed and sliced
- 200g tenderstem broccoli
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 vegetable oxo cube
- 2 teaspoons SpiceNTice Italian rub (** See note above about this rub)
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile fry the onion, broccoli, green beans and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the courgette, oxo cube, Italian rub and 75ml cold water and simmer on a low heat until the vegetables are softened and the water almost gone.
- Stir in the cooked spaghetti, zest and juice of the lemon and give everything a stir and cook until all liquid is gone, taste and season with salt and pepper if required.
- Serve with finely grated Parmesan on the top and a slice of garlic bread.